Application for access to Museum objects for examination
The National Museum of Iceland encourages research on items in the Museum's collection, as research brings out the knowledge embodied in the object. In order to apply for permission to examine objects, this application form must be filled out.
Information on many of the objects and documents conserved by the National Museum of Iceland is accessible via the Sarpur cultural-heritage database on the website www.sarpur.is.
Access to objects is subject to the rules and conditions set out below, guided by principles of long-term conservation and with reference to the National Museum of Iceland Act no. 140/2011, the Cultural Heritage Act no. 80/2012 , and the ICOM Code of Ethics. The National Museum of Iceland does its utmost to ensure professional handling of applications for access to objects its collection.
1. An application for access to objects for examination must be submitted at least two weeks before the requested time of examination, and shall be submitted to the Museum online in electronic form. Applications are answered as soon as possible, and not later than two weeks after receipt. Note that the application can be handled more speedily if it includes precise details of catalogue numbers andnames of objects.
2. If the application is approved, examination facilities will be reserved for the proposed time of examination at the premises of the Museum's depository at Vesturvör 16-20, Kópavogur. The examination facilities are normally accessible Monday to Friday 8.00 to 16.00. If an extension of these access hours is desired, Depository staff must be given advance notice, so that arrangements may be made.
3. The approval of an application is valid only for the individual(s) named in the application for objects for examination.
4. Visitors must provide their own equipment for use in the examination, such as cameras, measuring tools, scales, magnifying glasses etc.
5. Food and drink are not permitted in the examination facilities, but visitors are welcome to make use of the staff refreshment room.