Historic Buildings

Grenjaðarstaður in Aðaldalur

Open: June 1st – September 15th every day from 11:00-17:00

In this group of large Scandinavian The turf farm At Gremjastaður is a large Scandinavian turf farm.  The area was once one of the wealthiest in the country. In its current form the farm was mostly built in the last part of the 19th century and its walls are mainly lava stone from the area. 

See further information about entrance fee and tickets at Menningarmiðstöð Þingeyinga.

The gabled farmhouse at Grenjaðarstaður is one of the largest of its kind. Today, the Suður-Þingeyjarsýsla district museum occupies a part of the premises. Before the Reformation, there was a church here dedicated to St. Martin. It possessed a fine altar cloth with 12 scenes depicting the life of the saint. The cloth is now in the Louvre museum in Paris. Grenjaðarstaður was one of the six best livings in the country that were in the king's gift. The present church was built in 1865 and later enlarged. In 1931, the farm was divided into five smaller holdings, the vicarage farm now being only a fifth of the original estate.