Historic Buildings
  • Laufás

Laufás in Eyjafjörður

Open from June 1st – September 30 every day from 11 am - 5 pm

The turf farm at Laufás is a good example of the buildings surrounding a wealthier priest‘s seat from the latter half of the 19th century, but it has a continuous history dating back to the Middle Ages. Most of the relics at the site now are from neighbouring farms, though some are from Laufás. The Akureyri Museum oversees operations at the farm. Open from June 1st - September 30 from 11:00-17:00.

Laufás is an ancient manor farm, the earliest records of a church here dating from 1047. The present church was built in 1865, and was one of the most impressive of its time. It contains a pulpit with wood carvings from 1698. The large turf farm house was built in the latter part of the 19th century, and is a typical example of a gable-end parsonage built for a priest with a large household. It is now administered by the National Museum. The carved eider drake on one of the gables refers to the eider nesting area belonging to the property, which brought the owners a considerable income.