Historic Buildings

Litlibær in Skötufjörður

pen Daily from 10 - 5 pm

Litlibær was built in 1895 by two families who originally lived in separate parts of the house, which was then divided in the middle with a wall. The house is made of timber with stone side walls and grass on the roof. Around 20 people lived in Litlibær at one point. From the year 1917 only one family lived on the farm. Litlibær was inhabited until 1969.

 Open Daily from 10 - 5 pm. Please visit Litlibær homepage for further informations.

A Little Story of a Little Farm

The story of the two families who together created Litlibær farm in Skötufjordur fjord is typical of poor people who made a start empty-handed but succeeded by efficiency and hard work to rise to self-sufficiency and provide for large families. They lived off the land but also harvested much more from the sea and its rich fishing grounds.

The first farming families here at Litlibær were Guðfinnur Einarsson and his wife Halldóra Jóhannsdóttir who had fifteen children, of whom nine reached maturity and Finnbogi Pétursson and his wife Soffía Þorsteinsdóttir who raised eight children, of whom seven reached maturity.